Sunday, October 13, 2019

T train


Sometimes I sit down and force myself to write and I end up with some stilted inauthentic sentences. I check twitter instead, and hope that inspiration comes another day. And sometimes, I'm visiting somewhere and I get on public transit and I write a poem in one fell swoop on my notes app and then put it on my blog with no edits, except for correcting the spelling of supremacists. Writing's weird that way. This was written in the context of a white supremacy rally being held in Boston while I visited for my first PA conference. 


There’s vomit on the ground
Of the T train
The Ashmont one
That’s assigned the red color
But its upholstery is rainbow

The white supremacists
were standing on the street corner
The police marched them around the town safely
While rainbows dripped from the Good Side's cheeks

I walked by
In a black dress
On my way to a conference
After sleeping in at a hotel
Wanting to start my career and meet the right people and believe the world is good
And people deserve to be helped

The vomit streamed and dried on the floor of the T train
The rainbows on the upholstery and the cheeks
Will eventually fade


No comments:

Post a Comment